Norfolk Island holidays focus on relaxation and recreation surrounded by the island’s beautiful natural environment.
There are gentler activities available, such as easy walks, snooker, and lawn bowls, while there are also more adventurous activities available, such as surfing, swimming, scuba diving, snorkeling, windsurfing, fishing, golf, squash, equestrian events, clay target shooting, and tennis.
A fascinating glimpse into the island’s history is provided by the remnants of the convict settlements scattered throughout the island.
Temperatures on Norfolk Island range from 10 – 26 degrees Celsius year-round. The island has a subtropical marine climate and more than 1300mm of precipitation annually. Rainfall is most likely to occur between April and August, with the summer months being warm and winter, June to August, being mild, but with greater rainfall than the rest of the year.
Once you’re here, you’ll find 101 ways to experience it all, from outdoor adventures to history tours, from paddock-to-plate dining to tax-free shopping. One of the most common complaints we hear from guests is that a week at Poinciana Cottages just wasn’t enough to fulfill all their desires.
This week, let’s look at what you can expect from a culinary point of view.
Norfolk Island offers some of the best food in the South Pacific. We grow food on rich, organic soils, which means our food is among the freshest and tastiest on earth. If you feel like splurging, you can gorge on Argentinian barbecued seafood.
In an atmospheric house from the convict era, you can dig into a flame-grilled cut of Norfolk Blue beef. In addition to your formal dining options, there are plenty of options for casual dining and take out, from wood-fired pizza to burgers big enough to feed even the ravenous castaway!
We have some of the most welcoming watering holes in the South Pacific. Try the award-winning wines at our cellar doors or relax at our cocktail bar and enjoy island-inspired drinks designed by our local mixologists.
Feeling thirsty? Pack your picnic set with ale from the local liquor store and enjoy it waterfront. Check out our RSL or one of our many sporting clubs if you want to meet our locals at their most relaxed. There’s no shortage of drinks in Norfolk. After a night of overindulging, get a fresh start the next morning with our locally grown and roasted coffee.
Here are our top 5 picks:
- The Sunset Bar – A relaxed outdoor licensed venue providing full bar facilities with tasty platters (both hot and cold), exotic cocktails, stunning sea views and great music and vibe.
- The Boatshed – Here you can soak up nautical vibes at The Governor’s Lodge Resort. The menu is casual café dining and offers a relaxed space for friends old and new to gather and create memories.
- Juddway – Local and organic! Using fresh locally sourced produce, Juddway is open Monday to Friday. Juddway take-away is located in town, opposite the Visitor Information Centre.
- Bounty Bar & Grill – This new grill and steakhouse offers a menu full of local meats and produce.Bounty Bar & Grill is centrally located at the end of town in an original building – built in the early 1900’s. This is a 5 minute walk from Poinciana Cottages.
- Two Chimneys Winery – This stunning location is open for tastings and full Cellar door facilities. Located at Steele’s Point, Two Chimneys Winery is a family owned business and is the only Winery on the island.
We look forward to welcoming you to Norfolk Island and Poinciana Cottages this year!